This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our full Disclosure Policy.
Tomato mozzarella basil salad is a classic dish that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a light lunch or a refreshing side dish for your dinner, this salad is a great option. It’s simple to make, requires only a few ingredients, and is packed with flavor.
When I was younger, I spent a fall in Rome and lived above a pizzeria that made a variation of this classic caprese salad recipe as a pizza! It had fresh tomatoes, mozzarella slices, basil pesto, balsamic reduction and a drizzle of olive oil on top! I still think about this delicious dish all the time and it made me fall in love with this simple salad.
Why Serve Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
This fresh caprese salad is honestly a staple salad served here in our home! My 11-year-old daughter makes it for her after-school snack all the time. She loves to make it for family holiday dinners too.
Tomato mozzarella basil salad is a healthy salad, that is easy to make, tastes amazing and is completely affordable! Good quality ingredients are also easy to find at a farmers market or your local grocery store! Especially during tomato season if you grow your own! Try to serve this as a side to portobello stuffed mushrooms or bacon-wrapped pesto stuffed chicken breasts for a delicious side salad option.
How To Make A Balsamic Reduction Glaze
If you are in a rush, simply pick up a bottle of balsamic glaze at any local grocery store. However, this simple balsamic dressing is so quick and easy to make too. All you need to make this yummy reduction is one ingredient: Balsamic vinegar!
To make a balsamic reduction, follow these simple steps:
In a small saucepan, pour in 1 cup of balsamic vinegar (optional to add some honey too). Heat the mixture over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil. Then reduce the heat to medium-low and let the mixture simmer until it has reduced by half, stirring occasionally. This should take about 20-25 minutes.
Once the mixture has reduced, remove it from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes. The balsamic reduction should be thick and syrupy. If it’s too thin, you can return it to the heat and simmer it for a few more minutes until it reaches the desired consistency.
Voila! Enjoy your homemade balsamic reduction! If you make a bit extra, you can always store this delicious reduction in a mason jar or airtight container for use at a later time.
Shop The Kitchen
How To Make Tomato Basil Mozzarella Salad
Ok now on to the fun part! The key to making a delicious tomato mozzarella basil salad is using high-quality freshest ingredients. Fresh, ripe juicy tomatoes and tangy, creamy mozzarella cheese are the stars of the show, while aromatic basil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar add the perfect finishing touch. This salad is not only delicious but also healthy, as it is packed with vitamins and nutrients.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy recipe for delicious tomato mozzarella salad, look no further. With just a few simple steps and a handful of ingredients, you can create a mouthwatering simple Italian salad that will impress all of your friends and family.
Whether you’re an experienced cook or this is your first time in the kitchen,I promise that this salad is a great option for anyone who loves fresh, flavorful food.
Tomato mozzarella basil salad is a simple and refreshing dish that requires a few fresh ingredients. Here are the ingredients you will need to make this salad:
- 1 lb. ripe tomatoes
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar or balsamic vinegar reduction
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Step 1: Prepare the ingredients.
Begin by gathering the best quality ingredients you can find. When selecting tomatoes, look for ripe and firm ones that are red and juicy. You can use any type of tomato, but cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes work well for this salad. For the mozzarella cheese, use fresh and soft cheese that is packed in water. You can also use buffalo mozzarella for a creamier texture.
Basil is a key ingredient in this salad, so make sure to use fresh leaves. You can grow your own basil or purchase it from a grocery store. Extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar are used to make the dressing for this salad. Use high-quality oil and vinegar for the best flavor.
Finally, season the salad with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. You can also add other ingredients to this salad, such as sliced onions, garlic, or olives, to give it more flavor and texture.
Step 2: Slice the ingredients
Once you have all the ingredients ready, it’s time to cut them. Start by slicing the tomatoes into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Then, slice the mozzarella cheese into similar-sized rounds. Next, pick the basil leaves off the stems and tear them into small pieces.
Step 3: Assemble the salad
Now that all the ingredients are cut, it’s time to assemble the salad. Start by arranging the tomato slices on a large platter. Then, place or layer the mozzarella cheese slices on top of the tomatoes. Finally, sprinkle the torn basil leaves over the top.
Step 4: Dress the salad
Now is time to get a bit fancy! If you are using the balsamic reduction, try drizzling it in a beautiful pattern over the salad.
If you decide to make a dressing instead, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
Season with salt and pepper to taste for either variation.
That’s it! Your tomato mozzarella basil salad is now ready to serve. Enjoy!
Storing This Fresh Tomato Salad
I would like to mention that this salad is ALWAYS going to taste better when it is eaten on the first day as it is the freshest, however, if you do make too much or prepare this salad ahead of time, it will keep if stored correctly. Place this salad in an airtight container for 2 to 4 days at most. Any longer and the tomatoes will begin to go soggy and soft. I also wouldn’t recommend adding the balsamic reduction or dressing until you are ready to serve the salad.
Tomato Basil And Mozzarella Salad Tips
Here are some tips and variations to make your tomato mozzarella basil salad even more delicious:
Use Fresh Ingredients
When making tomato mozzarella basil salad, it’s important to use fresh ingredients. Make sure your tomatoes are ripe and your basil is fragrant. Fresh mozzarella cheese is also essential for the best flavor and texture. Using fresh ingredients will make a big difference in the taste of your salad.
Add Balsamic Glaze
A drizzle of balsamic glaze can take your tomato mozzarella basil salad to the next level. The sweet and tangy flavor of the glaze complements the flavors of the salad perfectly.
You can either make your own balsamic glaze or buy it pre-made at the store. Just be sure to use it sparingly, as a little goes a long way. Try adding a touch of honey to the glaze too for a different flavor variation!
Let The Salad Sit
This salad is delicious when it’s served at room temperature: Let the salad sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
Variations Of Traditional Caprese Salad
Try adding your own spin to this salad! Add some cucumber or perhaps a bit of avocado! prosciutto, or arugula will also. give it some extra flavor and texture. Here are a few different variations and ideas to try:
Easy Caprese Skewers
If you want to switch things up, try making caprese skewers. Simply thread cherry tomatoes, fresh mini mozzarella balls, and basil leaves onto skewers. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze for added flavor. Caprese skewers are perfect for entertaining, as they are easy to make and look impressive.
Caprese Pasta Salad
If you’re looking for a heartier meal, try making caprese pasta salad. Cook your favorite pasta according to the package instructions, then toss it with cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and chopped basil. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Caprese pasta salad is a filling and flavorful dish that’s perfect for lunch or dinner.
Tomato Mozzarella Basil Salad Pizza
This delicious pizza is typically made with a thin crust, and the toppings are arranged on top of the crust in a salad-like fashion. The tomatoes are usually sliced and arranged in a circular pattern, followed by slices of fresh mozzarella cheese, and then topped with fresh basil leaves. The pizza crust is covered in a delicious tomato sauce, then baked in an oven until the crust is crispy. Once the pizza is out of the oven, the salad toppings are added and then it is typically drizzled with olive oil and a balsamic glaze to enhance the flavor of the toppings. The result is a delicious and refreshing pizza that is perfect for summer or any time of year.
More Delicious Recipes
Short answer, yes, a tomato and mozzarella salad can be a healthy choice, as it is made with fresh and nutritious ingredients. Tomatoes are a good source of vitamin C, potassium, and antioxidants, while mozzarella cheese is a good source of protein and calcium. However, it is important to keep portion size and toppings in mind when considering the healthiness of the salad. Adding too much cheese or dressing can increase the calorie and fat content of the salad. Additionally, some tomato and mozzarella salads may be served with bread or other high-carb sides, which can also add to the calorie count. Overall, a tomato and mozzarella salad can be a healthy choice when enjoyed in moderation and with a balanced diet.
The traditional ingredients for a Caprese salad are tomato and mozzarella slices that are arranged alternately on a plate or platter. Fresh basil leaves are then placed on top of the cheese and tomato slices. The salad is then drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar or glaze, and seasoned with salt and pepper to taste. Some variations of the Caprese salad may include additional ingredients such as avocado, prosciutto, or arugula, but the traditional recipe is simple and delicious. I love to add sliced cucumber too
Tomato Mozzarella Basil Salad
- 4-5 large ripe tomatoes beefsteak
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or balsamic reduction
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey optional
Tomato Mozzarella Basil Salad
- Prepare the ingredients. Begin by gathering the best quality ingredients you can find
- Slice the ingredients. Start by slicing the tomatoes into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Then, slice the mozzarella cheese into similar-sized rounds. Next, pick the basil leaves off the stems and tear them into small pieces.
- Layer the salad. Start by arranging the tomato slices on a large platter. Then, place or layer the mozzarella cheese slices on top of the tomatoes. Finally, sprinkle the torn basil leaves over the top.
- Dress the salad. If you are using the balsamic reduction, try drizzling it in a beautiful pattern over the salad. If you decide to make a dressing instead, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
- In a small saucepan, pour in 1 cup of balsamic vinegar and 1/4 cup of honey (if using).
- Heat the mixture over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the mixture simmer until it has reduced by half, stirring occasionally. This should take about 20-25 minutes.
- Once the mixture has reduced, remove it from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Choose the right tomatoes: Use ripe, juicy tomatoes that are in season for the best flavor. Heirloom tomatoes are a great choice if you can find them.
- Use fresh mozzarella: Fresh mozzarella is softer and creamier than other types of mozzarella cheese, and it pairs perfectly with the tomatoes and basil in a Caprese salad.
- Slice the ingredients evenly: Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella cheese into even slices so that the salad looks visually appealing and is easy to eat.
- Use fresh basil: Fresh basil leaves add a fragrant and flavorful element to the salad. Tear the leaves into small pieces and scatter them over the tomatoes and cheese.
- Season the salad: Drizzle the salad with high-quality extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar or glaze. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve at room temperature: Let the salad sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Optional additions: You can add other ingredients to the salad, such as sliced avocado, prosciutto, or arugula, to give it some extra flavor and texture.